DNS setup

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Thu Sep 6 19:51:02 UTC 2001

I will _try_ to stay off the "mydomain.com" sarcasm. Let's just say
$ORIGIN to be neutral.

Then, simply put into your zone file:

	www CNAME @

or

	@ A 123.45.67.89  ; Change IP as appropriate

Either way works. I bet the CNAME approach is better in some cases,
but I am worried that it could possibly create a naming loop where
names like www.www.www.www.www.thedomain.tld (or really, anything
matching the regexp `(www\.)+thedomain.tld' would resolve - perhaps
not what you want. Could anyone confirm/deny whether there are DNS
servers out there that behave this way? Does BIND treat a CNAME to a
higher level of the DNS hierachy this way, or is that CNAME record
ignored? What do the RFCs have to say on this? (A CNAME _should_
mirror exactly all records of the canonical name - thus the famous
'cname and other data' error I belive everyone has run into at some
point in time, in some shape or form.)

Michael Kjörling

On Sep 6 2001 16:53 +0200, Alf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like that http://mydomain.com and http://www.mydomain.com point to
> the same thing.
> How can I setup my DNS to understand http://mydomain.com ?
>
> I'm using bind 9.1.3
>
> thanks
>
> Alf

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****