Problems with _res structure

Gopal Kulkarni gopal.kulkarni at veritas.com
Fri Sep 7 00:05:14 UTC 2001

Hello all,

I am trying to write a DNS application using libbind.dll on the Windows2000
platform (BIND8.x). I can query the DNS server for records using the
res_query function. But when I try to delete a record, my application
crashes. Here is the sequence:

1) Call res_init()
2) Call res_query() to find the record I want to delete. Succeeds.
3) Before calling res_mkupdate() and res_send(), I  try to set the options
(turn off search algorithm and default domains) using the following line:
    _res.options &= ~(RES_DNSRCH | RES_DEFNAMES);
4) Crashes with Access Violation error.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Gopal