Reverse lookup problem with 2 network classes

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Sep 7 20:13:02 UTC 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 03:17:14PM -0400, Pierre Girard wrote:
> I looked in the log file with debug level 10 and i can't really find
> any error, i figure the data just isn't read because there's no DNS
> servers defined in the zone file.

That   i s   the error.

You need to put in the name of your server itself, not some other
server.  And use the same domain name, either implicitly:

			NS	gate.crt.umontreal.ca.

or explicitly:

100.10.in-addr.arpa.	NS	gate.crt.umontreal.ca.

	or

@			NS	gate.crt.umontreal.ca.

> I started reading the bind book but so far the only thing i tought could
> help fix the problem was the $ORIGIN or $INCLUDE commands but that fails
> too.  Just before the nameservers i added:
> $ORIGIN 100.204.132.in-addr.arpa.
>
> and just before the other addresses i added
> $ORIGIN 100.10.in-addr.arpa.

Don't use $ORIGIN.  Unless you know that you don't have to, but it will
make things more convenient.  $ORIGIN is never needed.  It is sometimes
convenient.  It seems to more often be confusing, when people new to
BIND use it.

The domain that is calling your zone file is always the implicit
$ORIGIN.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B