comparison forward <-> corresponding reverse

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Sep 10 22:49:48 UTC 2001

> In article <9nj0cs$f74 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, michael at kjorling.com says...
>
> > What do you mean? An A record is a resource record (RR), so there
> > would be absolutely no point in a check like the one you are
> > proposing.
> > Or do you mean matching up A RRs against PTRs?
>
> My bad, PTR, of course :)
> We have hundreds of hosts in several zonefiles, and I want to check, if
> those have a valid PTR record.
>
> Help or tool hints still appreciated :)
> --
> Bjoern Krueger
> dvdman at web dot de
> Please reply ONLY to this newsgroup, thanks.

	Well you were told about dnswalk.

	Note there can be multiple names with the same A record.  It
	does *not* make sence for all of these to have a PTR record.
	The clients don't make use of the additional PTR records and
	when taken to extremes (virtual web servers) the DNS cannot
	return all the PTR records as you exceed the protocols limits.

	In these cases just pick one of the names.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org