Dynamic IP & cache DNS

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Sep 10 23:54:29 UTC 2001

> So TTL values plummet, and the query volume and the loads on nameservers
> keeps going up and up and up.

In my experience, most folks have enough spare capacity on their name
servers
so that several times the query volume wouldn't be a problem.  There are
some exceptions, including the root and gTLD name servers, but these aren't
affected by low TTLs on RRs in zones further down the tree.  I suppose you
could argue that the big, caching-only name servers run by ISPs might have a
problem if lower TTLs became pervasive, but that's about it.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com