Help needed NSUPDATE issue Solaris 8

Sivakumar Thiyagarajan sivakumar_id at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 02:36:02 UTC 2001

Hi Brad,

   I really dont know how the BIND release was
compiled. I have been thinking that it ships with
Solaris installation CD!! Isnt it so?!? I have never
needed to install it except to upgrade BIND.

   Anyway I will confirm this. Thanks for the tip.

   BTW we seem to have a grip on the other part of my
problem with nsupdate giving up with a 'send error'.

   Looks like in a rapid fire of nsupdate calls, the
named does not always respond fast enough. successive
nsupdates in turn keeps timing out and often
successfully gets a response from the named. But then
randomly nsupdate gives up exits with a 'send error'.
( does it suddenly decide that there is no named? )

   The exact msg is "res_send: send error, n=-1"

   Introducing a sleep between nsupdate calls did help
but still it feels scarry.

Thanks again
/Sivakumar

--- Brad Knowles <brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:
> At 12:49 AM -0700 9/10/01, Sivakumar Thiyagarajan
> wrote:
>
> >      BIND's nsupdate seems to be unstable on on
> Solaris
> >  8.
> >     Firstly  is returns with an exit status of 1
> >  regardless of the success or failure of the
> operation.
>
> 	Hmm.  Did you compile with gcc or the vendor
> provided C compiler?
> If you used gcc, be aware that it is incapable of
> producing anything
> remotely resembling proper code for 64-bit
> SPARC/Solaris, and is not
> supported by the BIND developers for use with BIND
> on 64-bit
> SPARC/Solaris.
>
> 	So, you'd either need to "upgrade" to Solaris 7 in
> 32-bit mode,
> dump gcc, or be willing and able to do a lot more
> debugging to help
> the BIND developers understand whether this is a
> compiler bug or a
> bug in BIND.
>

> 	Note that the cross-platform stateful firewall
> package "ipfilter"
> completely refuses to compile with gcc on 64-bit
> Solaris for
> precisely the reasons given above -- gcc just can't
> hack it.
>
> --
> Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles at skynet.be>

H4sICIFgXzsCA2RtYS1zaWcAPVHLbsMwDDvXX0H0kkvbfxiwVw8FCmzAzqqj1F4dy7CdBfn7

Kc6wmyGRFEnvvxiWQoCvqI7RSWTcfGXQNqCUAnfIU+AT8OZ/GCNjRVlH0bKpguJkxiITZqes

MxwpSucyDJzXxQEUe/ihgXqJXUXwD9ajB6NHonLmNrUSK9nacHQnH097szO74xFXqtlbT3il

wMsBz5cnfCR5cEmci0Rj9u/jqBbPeES1I4PeFBXPUIT1XDSOuutFXylzrQvGyboWstCoQZyP

dxX4dLx0eauFe1x9puhoi0Ao1omEJo+BZ6XLVNaVpWiKekxN0VK2VMpmAy+Bk7ZV4SO+p1L/