How to find out if a host serves secondary DNS for my domain ?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 12 13:52:15 UTC 2001

In article <9nmcf3$6un at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kamil  <adamkr at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>When I change delegation of my domain a web-script on my DNS provider's
>web page claims that "(SECONDARY_DNS_SERVER) is not a DNS server for

Did you ever ask your provider to become a slave for the domain?  If not,
how did you expect it to be added to their configuration?

>(MY_DOMAIN)" .  This server replies on all questions I ask it, so I'd
>like to know how to find out ( using dig, host or nslookup ) if  it
>"really" serves my domain.

Use:

dig <yourdomain> soa @<server> +norecurse

and see whether the response is authoritative (i.e. "aa" is included in the
"flags" section of the response).  The +norecurse option tells the server
not to try asking another server, so you'll get whatever is in its memory.
If it's configured as a slave then it will be authoritative; if it's not
authoritative then the answer would have been cached from a previous query.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA