Dynamic IP & cache DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Sep 12 23:29:50 UTC 2001

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 5:00 PM -0400 9/12/01, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>
> >             We could upgrade all of the authoritative nameservers for
> >  daimlerchrysler.com to BIND 9 and keep the same bogus data.
>
>         Uh, no.  I don't think you could.  I don't think that BIND 9
> would allow you to continue to keep some of the bogus glue data, if
> nothing else.

On one of the slaves:Script started on Wed Sep 12 19:25:39
2001fxiod01.is.chrysler.com% ~/named-checkzone daimlerchrysler.com
daimlerchrysler.com
OK
fxiod01.is.chrysler.com% ^D
script done on Wed Sep 12 19:25:57 2001
fxiod01.is.chrysler.com%

> >                                                               Surely
> >  you would agree that BIND 9 is more sophisticated than BIND 8,
> >  wouldn't you? I think this is then a valid counterargument.
>
>         Yes, I would agree that BIND 9 is more sophisticated than BIND 8,
> but I have to believe that the stuff I found is just the tip of the
> iceberg, and in that case I also have to believe that there would be
> enough internal problems that would prevent you from being able to
> make successful use of such an advanced feature, without first
> cleaning up the sort of stuff I found.

Were any of the problems you cited related to TTL values or NOTIFY? I'm
afraid I still don't see the connection...