Master/Slave Zone Transfer errors

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 13 14:05:57 UTC 2001

In article <9nq2pv$q43 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chris Eccles  <Chris.Eccles at earthport.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've just built a slave BIND DNS server. Things are working ok, zone
>transfers etc. However, wherever I have several zones on my Master server,
>that all use the same db file, the zone transfer does not work properly. The
>db file is created on the slave server, but only 1 zone entry is added. In
>addition, whenever we do an ndc reload, we get the following error for each
>example of multiple zones to one db file:

If multiple zones use the same db file on the master server, make sure that
all the names it defines are *relative* named, i.e. you must write:

www IN A 1.2.3.4

not:

www.company.com. IN A 1.2.3.4

Use '@' as an abbreviation for the zone name itself.

On the slave server, make sure you do *not* try to use the same file for
two different zones.  When BIND performs zone transfers, it does not take
the above precaution in the db files that it writes.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA