nslookup for W98?

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Thu Sep 13 17:42:13 UTC 2001

Hans Vlems wrote:
> It's extremely bad form to follow up your own post but I feel there's
> no choice left here.  I just finished setting up a bind server at
> home. Now I haven't got that many systems at home, and I just wanted
> to test the new DNS server from my W98 box.  It can boot W98, WNT,
> W2000AS and two flavors of unix, but for some reason my family tends
> to boot W98 only.

> If you're familiar with nslookup then there's no reason to learn
> another tool, provided nslookup is available.  In my innocence I
> assumed that some kind soul had ported nslookup to W98.  Apparently
> that's not the case, right?

if you don't feel it's overkill, you could certainly install cygwin and
then compile nslookup if there isn't already a win32 port somewhere.
someone did comment that there's a win32 port of bind8 somewhere, so you
might be able to get the utilities from that to work (sorry -  i don't
remember where that was).

cywin is really easy to install, or at least it was the time i tried it.
assuming you're relatively knowledgable about *nix it shouldn't be hard
to compile the necessary utilities.

as far as learning another tool, there are some lists (in the archives)
of why nslookup is Bad - you might want to look at those and then try to
find a version of dig / host for win98.

honestly when i'm stuck using windows i usually just ssh to a *nix
machine (in putty or securecrt or whatever) and do the lookups from
there, so if you have access to a shell account anywhere this is
probably the simplest solution.

Sintax error in config file! (line 378)
aborted!

GPG Public Key: