nslookup for W98?

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Fri Sep 14 01:21:41 UTC 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org]On
Behalf Of Will Yardley
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 2:46 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
Subject: Re: nslookup for W98?

Michael E. Hanson wrote:

> Its been a little while since I installed the NT Port of BIND from
> ISC.org, but when I did, it included NT ports of all the standard
> tools, including nslookup and dig.  The version of nslookup it
> included I successfully used on Win98 for quite a while.  The last
> version I installed was 4.9.7 (same one provided by Larry Kahn), but I
> understand they have continued that support into 8.x, and as long as
> they've built the executable as a Win32 executable it should run on
> Win98 with no trouble.

yes - it's been established that the tools are available for NT (in fact
the tools are available as a separate package for NT).  however this
person specifically wants them for windoze 98 (which as i understand it
won't run nt programs).

You understand it wrong.  Windows 98 will run any NT4.0 program that is not
multi-threaded or tied to the HAL. nslookup has no reason to be
multi-threaded or tied to the HAL, and the 4.9.7 version ran quite well
under Win98.  I'm only suggesting that he try the current ISC BIND release
for NT as it contains the same tools, and I'm speculating that they are most
likely compiled in Win32 mode, as that's the easiest and most reliable way
to port these tools.  I am NOT suggesting that the named/resolve services
would run under Win98, but then he wasn't asking for that.

MEH