nslookup for W98?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Sep 14 03:57:13 UTC 2001

At 10:27 PM 9/13/01, Will Yardley wrote:

>Michael E. Hanson wrote:
> > You understand it wrong.  Windows 98 will run any NT4.0 program that
> > is not multi-threaded or tied to the HAL. nslookup has no reason to be
> > multi-threaded or tied to the HAL, and the 4.9.7 version ran quite
> > well under Win98.  I'm only suggesting that he try the current ISC
> > BIND release for NT as it contains the same tools, and I'm speculating
> > that they are most likely compiled in Win32 mode, as that's the
> > easiest and most reliable way to port these tools.  I am NOT
> > suggesting that the named/resolve services would run under Win98, but
> > then he wasn't asking for that.
>
>i stand corrected.  however the tools for which a link was sent to the
>list have the following notice in the readme file:
>
>         DNS Tools Kit Installation Information
>
>   Unpack the kit into any convenient directory and run the tools.
>   Note that libbind.dll should be in the same directory or the
>   system32 directory to work.  It's preferable to keep them in the
>   same directory as the tools.  The tools will NOT run on Win9x,
>   only WinNT and Win2000.

Right.  I just don't remember the details.

>so it would appear that the particular tools in question won't work on
>9x.

Unrelated, as it's a complete rewrite.  However, the BIND 9 tools will definitely
not run on Win9x, as there are definitely dependencies on NT-specific
features.

>i'm also having a few minor problems with the tools on a win2k box.
>
>if anyone has any ideas, let me know... (i'm mainly doing it out of
>curiosity). i put everything in c:\\WINNT\system32\ and i added
>resolv.conf to c:\\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc as per the instructions.
>
>it works, but only with ip addresses.  somehow it's not properly reading
>the resolv.conf file (i put one in cygwin's  /etc/ too just in case)
>
>no worries...
>
>LAKE% pwd
>/cygdrive/c/WINNT/system32
>LAKE% cat drivers/etc/resolv.conf
>216.246.35.9
>216.246.35.141

This is an invalid file.  Take a look at what a Unix resolv.conf file looks like,
the format is identical.  What you should have (at a minimum) is:
nameserver 216.246.35.9
nameserver 216.246.35.141

         Danny