Bind 8.2.3 force recursive

Chimento, Douglas Douglas.Chimento at FMR.COM
Fri Sep 14 22:05:36 UTC 2001

Barry,
You should you how political and stupid 'the higher ups' are in bussiness.

It can't be slave because its deals with 3dns crap and some security issues.

Doug Chimento. Fidelity Investments , 617-563-0259
Note: This message came from my pager

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Margolin <barmar at genuity.net>
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org
<comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org>
Sent: Fri Sep 14 17:28:57 2001
Subject: Re: Bind 8.2.3 force recursive

In article <9nts6p$h0c at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chimento, Douglas <Douglas.Chimento at FMR.COM> wrote:
>Perhaps there is a better way...
>I have an external name server, whose name is  ns4. According to the root
>servers ns4 is master for foo.com, However I want to the "real name
server",
>ns5,  to answer the queries. So I put a forward by zone statement like so
>zone foo.com IN {
>	type forward;
>	forwarders { blah ; } ;
>};
>
>But DNS only answers to recursive queries. Any non-recursive request are
not
>answered.

I think you mean it only forwards recursive queries.

>Some things to keep in mind
>ns4 cannot become a slave
>I cannot change the root server, ( i.e. ns4 has to be in the root servers)

If you have to run BIND on ns4, I think you're screwed unless you want to
do some programming.

Why can't you make ns4 a slave or change the delegation records?  You're
asking DNS to do something it's not designed to do.  Who came up with those
restrictions, and can't you tell them that it simply won't work?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.