Help - I'm totally lost: setting up nameservers

Will Yardley william+dns at hq.newdream.net
Sat Sep 15 19:54:06 UTC 2001

gnudev at ozemail.com.au wrote:
[reply to the list, not to me]
[i've tried not to cut out too much text since you didn't respond to the
list.  it's generally considered rude to 'top-post' - try to quote
nicely. see http://learn.to/edit_messages/ ]
> I've already told you I have no idea what I'm doing. Then what am I
> supposed to do? If I have no idea what I am doing, then how can I know
> what I am asking is ridiculous? I don't work at a webhosting company,
> I am trying to start one.

as i said, you should have a fundemental understanding of the DNS
_before_ trying to start a webhosting company.  the DNS is a very important
(core in fact) part of the internet, and is very relevant to your
business.

> I've already read the cricket book, and it makes no sense to me. You
> need to be an expert to read it it seems. I understand the basics,
> what the DNS is, what it is used for, but I don't know how to do it. I
> followed the examples in the cricket book to the letter, but they
> didn't work. I ran /usr/sbin/named-zonecheck zone
> /var/named/myzonefile or whatever it was, and apparantly I had it all
> wrong. But that was exactly what I was told to do by the cricket book,
> so you can see the awkward position I am in.

ok now we're getting somewhere.  it would probably be relevant to
include:

1) the zone files you're using
2) the named.conf you're using
3) the version of bind you're using
4) the output of named-checkzone and named-checkconf assuming you're
using bind9 (which it appears you are if i'm reading your message
correctly)
5) relevant logfile entries

if you're incapable of providing these things, how the hell is anyone on
this list going to help you?  you're complaining that we're not being
helpful, but you're not giving us any information to work on.  it's
entirely possible that the problem is very simple.

> Where are these sample configuration files you talk about? So I can just
> alter these to add my domain names and put them in /var/named and it will
> work? How do I know if it works or not?

do a search for named.conf on google.  i found a number of matches
already.  if you had included the version of bind you were using, it's
possible that someone could post an example.  examples are always just
that - examples.  of course you will need to make further adjustments
than just adding your domain name.  examples simply give you an idea of
what the syntax should be like.

i got this example named.conf file as the third match on a google
search.  it may not be the best possible example - just an example of
how easy it is to find an example.

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~dbrown/lunch-talks/bind-8.2/page.4.shtml

i'll include a sample zone file below for you.

> I'm really very, very sorry. But I have already said I have NFI what
> I'm doing.

well read the book again :> i know it can be confusing at first - you
might want to check out the craig hunt book because it's a bit easier to
digest.  there is also a good (and fairly detailed) chapter on DNS in
the new 'UNIX System Administration Handbook' (the purple book - the new
version of what was the 'red book') which is published by Prentice Hall.

> Thanks for your response and clear explanation of what I am doing and
> why I'm not getting a response. If could could tell me where I can get
> sample files I can alter, where to alter them, where to put them etc
> then I am sure this would help me to be more specific about things.

why don't you send us the files you have now? that would help us be more
specific about things. also again, be specific about what version of
bind you're using.

> Also how I can test to see if everything is working as I intend it to.

man dig......

here's a simple zone file from my home machine

aura# cat /etc/namedb/s/veggiechinese.net
$TTL 2h
@       IN      SOA     ns1.veggiechinese.net. william.newdream.net. (
                         2001050906 ; serial
                         3h ; refresh
                         30m ; retry
                         3w ; expire
                         5m) ; minimum
        IN      A       64.174.220.44
        IN      MX      0 aura.infinitejazz.net.
        IN      NS      ns1.veggiechinese.net.
        IN      NS      ns2.veggiechinese.net.
        IN      NS      ns.newdream.net.
ns1     IN      A       64.174.220.43
ns2     IN      A       216.246.35.180
ladd    IN      A       64.174.220.41
lake    IN      A       64.174.220.45
www     IN      A       64.174.220.44

and my named.conf (a couple things have been changed / simplified):

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        listen-on { 64.174.220.43; 127.0.0.1; };
        query-source address * port 53;
        dump-file "named_dump.db";
        pid-file "named.pid";
        allow-transfer {
		216.246.35.141;
		216.246.35.180;
		216.240.131.131;
		216.245.131.12;
		207.155.127.155;
		216.246.18.98;
		206.13.28.11;
		206.13.29.11;
		216.246.18.94;
	};
};

// these logging statements are bind9
// so don't try to use them if your machine is bind 8

logging {

         channel "named_log" {
                 file "/var/log/named/named.log";
         };
         category xfer-in { "named_log"; };
         category xfer-out { "named_log"; };
         category security { "named_log"; };
         category notify { "named_log"; };
};

// also not used in bind8
// i've munged the key
// don't try to use this part - it's just an example and a non-working
// one.  matching /etc/rndc.conf would also be needed.

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { samplekey; };
};
key samplekey {
         algorithm hmac-md5;
         secret "43c834M2/0rxadfdfa==";
     };
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "localhost.rev";
};

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "db.local";
};
zone "veggiechinese.net" {
        type master;
        file "veggiechinese.net";
};

zone "40.220.174.64.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.40.220.174.64";
};

just to make sure i'm not steering you too far afield, i saved it in a
file 'adsf':
aura% named-checkconf adsf
aura%

in this case, no news is good news.