question about resolving time

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Sep 17 10:20:50 UTC 2001

    >> But resolving time is very different. On sun response time is
    >> something around 1200 ms. On PC this time is usually more than
    >> 3000ms. I think these values must be approximately equal. What
    >> is the suggestions?

It is not practical to make any suggestions based on the information
you provided. You've given no indication that the two platforms you've
tried are comparable. Do they have the same CPU load? Do they have
equally good network connectivity? Could one of the systems be
dropping packets (or sending traffic via a router that drops packets)?
Are the name servers at the same place on the internet? Do their
queries and answers generally go over the same path? Are they running
the same version of BIND? Has one of the servers already cached
information needed to resolve the query? Do the name servers have
similar configurations? What names are you looking up, are they local
or remote?

All things being equal, you're correct to presume there should be no
significant difference in the time taken to resolve a DNS query using
different name servers. However you've not told us if you're comparing
to broadly similar name servers or using objective tests.