Reverse Lookup/Split DNS

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Sep 17 21:08:04 UTC 2001

In article <9o5jbi$fbf at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Carl Howell <chowell at uwf.edu>
wrote:
>I wish to set up a split DNS configuration.
>
>My question is:
>Will I run into problems with my clients accessing the Internet(I'm not
>running proxy, or NAT)? For instance, it use to be that Microsoft would
do a
>reverse lookup on you if you were attemtping to download a 128-bit
version
>of a service pack. If I don't have entries for my clients in the
external
>reverse lookup zones, this type of connection will of course fail.
>
>Any suggestions on how I can allow full Internet access to my clients
>without having their IP addresses listed in our external DNS?

Many sites get away without having all their PC's in DNS, so apparently
very few web sites perform these kinds of checks.  I think the US
government lifted their restrictions on distribution of 128-bit
browsers,
so Microsoft and Netscape no longer try to use reverse DNS to check
whether
you're coming from the US (it was a very poor way to test, although as
good
as any other known technique).

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to
newsgroups.
Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the
group.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat