Resolve domain names

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Sep 17 23:31:28 UTC 2001

In article <9o5spa$gpb at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Jun Mack <jmack at ccp.edu.ph> wrote:
>hi! I don't know if this is the right forum but I'm pretty much sure I'll
>get answers.
>
>We have this setup:
>( We are doing this as an experiment in one of our subjects.)
>
>                                            192.168.0.1
>192.168.1.1                  192.168.2.1                  192.168.3.1
>|                                |                                    |

>____|__________________|__________________ |_____________________|
>|                                |
>                                                192.168.4.1
>192.168.5.1                    192.168.6.1

This picture is difficult to see, because your tab stops aren't the same as
mine or you used a proportional font.  However, I don't think the picture
is at all relevant.  DNS doesn't care about how things are connected.

>All networks are reachable through 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.0 network). We
>installed BIND in all machines and have configured in such a way that
>each host can resolve its own domain. Now, we want that if we do a dig to
>any of these hosts, they could be resolved. Say, 192.168.1.1 has a domain
>name xyz.com. If 192.168.5.1 (abc.com)  do a dig ns xyz.com, 192.168.5.1
>should get the correct response and if we browse the webpage hosted by
>xyz.com ( http://www.xyz.com),  192.168.5.1 should be able to view the
>said webpage. (Note: The webserver has been configured correctly).
>
>Our questions are:
>
>1. Do we have to define in our forward zone the domains of each network?
>2. Do we have to define in our resolv.conf the IP addresses of each domain?

You need to either configure each server as a slave for the zones of all
the other ones.  Or you need to define them all as masters for the root
zone, containing NS and glue records for all the other domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA