Newbie: DNS and NAT?

john-paul delaney jp at justatest.com
Tue Sep 18 11:13:43 UTC 2001

Hello..

I've just emerged from a newbie setting up a home server on an adsl link
(extended) event. RH7.0/Apache/Sendmail is the configuration.

Granitecanyon, (ns1&2) who handle my zone data have had some hiccups
lately so I'd like to set up an authoritive nameserver for my domain, with
GC as secondary.

Before delving into the Cricket DNS book I've just bought, I'd like to ask
the list if it's even possible to run a 'public' DNS behind an adsl/router
that does basic filtering and NAT/PAT?  I see I can pass all traffic on
port 53 to the RH/Apache/Sendmail/Bind9.1.3 (second-hand P100), but am not
sure if RR's pointing to the only public ip I have (on the router,
naturally) will suffice?

Scenario so far - installed Bind9.1.3, it's starts up, with a few errors
such as "ignoring out-of-zone date".  However, before tackling all of
that, I'd like to know if what I want to do can be done? - bearing in mind
I'm a painter, not a computer wiz like you guys :)

TIA

/j-p.