Specify TTL's in RR's

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Sep 18 14:44:20 UTC 2001

> Hi NG,
>
> now all works fine :-)
> But i ask me why i must always specify
> at the first line of all zone files a TTL
> example (db.127.0.0):
>
> $TTL 86400
> @ SOA IN ........
>
> my first attempt was to write:
>
> @ SOA IN ....
>       1 ; serial
>     21600 ; refresh
>     3600 ; retry
>     3542400 ; expire
>     86400 ) ; minimum TTL
>
> but when i was starting BIND with the 2nd example the
> syslog tells me:
>
> master.c:1172: unexpected error:
> dns_master_load: db127.0.0:1: no TTL specified. THIS ZONE WILL NO LONGER
> WORK IN FUTURE VERSIONS. Add a TTL
>
> in bind9 referrence i read that you can specify TTL's in the first line,
> but i've specified it (like in 2nd example) with 86400 ) ; minimum TTL.

	You havn't specified the TTL.  The following is a example of how
	to specify a explicit TTL.

@ 7200 SOA ...

> must i always add "$TTL 86400" in every RR in the first line ?

	The TTL needs to be specified in every zone.

> is this new in BIND9 ?

	Enforced yes, new no.  It's actually required by RFC 1034/1035.
	It's hard to inherit something that does not exist and TTL is
	a inheritable poperty of a resource record.

> in BIND8 the 2nd example should work ( told me o'reillys DNS and BIND 3rd
> edition )

	The 4th edition covers BIND 9.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org