Deleting obsolete name servers

James Raftery james-bind-users at now.ie
Wed Sep 19 14:54:07 UTC 2001

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 06:32:41AM -0700, Lou Hevly wrote:
> A few months ago I assigned ns2.visca-server.com to 216.216.32.171. Now
> I wish to assign another name server to this IP; I will no longer be
> using ns2.visca-server.com for anything.  [snip]
> So is emailing the registrar and asking that an obsolete
> name server be deleted the only way to "free up" an IP address?

If the name/address pair has been registered in the Shared
Registry System, then yes you need the sponsering registrar of the
host entry to remove or modify it.

> Also, if a badguy happens to know an IP address range for a competitor,
> what stops him from assigning ns1-255.badguy.com to all these IP's?

A sense of fair play?

> Sure, they won't do him any good and the IP's that are already assigned
> to other name servers won't be affected.  But it seems he would thus
> prevent the victim from using any of his unused IP's as name servers.

Yep. Irritating isn't it?

Regards,
james
--
James Raftery (JBR54)
  "It's somewhere in the Red Hat district"  --  A network engineer's