Zone file question

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Sep 19 17:53:29 UTC 2001

Who ever suggested that you cannot have more than two nameservers?
However it is strongly recommended that each publicly accessible
domain has at least two name servers, and many registrars in fact
enforce this very good policy. I have had times when one of my name
servers become unreachable for an extended period of time (either due
to operator's fault or power/network outages), and having slaves
spread pretty much all over the world is what allowed me to still
sleep good at night despite those outages (they also run different
software, so any one vulnerability won't let people into all of them).
If I had only had that one name server that went down, I'd have been
in major trouble.

By the way, you will run into problems with the zone data you showed
below. First, the RNAME field of the SOA record is missing - or is it
the MNAME? The syntax is:

	domainname. IN SOA master.name.server. dnsmasters.email.address. (
		serial refresh retry expire negative_ttl )

Any line beginning with a whitespace will inherit the owner name from
the previous qualified record - so you could just as well have typed
it out like this:

	@ IN SOA ...
	@ @ NS land-5.com.
	@ @ NS ns2.psi.net.

which obviously isn't what you want.

What servers slave from which is completely arbritrary; the only
requirement is that zone transfers can be completed from that server.

Michael Kjörling

On Sep 19 2001 10:52 -0500, Kris McElroy wrote:

> @       IN      SOA     abcd.abe.com. (
>                         199609206       ; serial, todays date + todays =serial #
>                         8H              ; refresh, seconds
>                         2H              ; retry, seconds
>                         4W              ; expire, seconds
>                         1D )            ; minimum, seconds
>    @             NS      land-5.com.
>   @              NS      ns2.psi.net.
>

> IN the above example my question is the @ NS land-5.com is the
> Primary and @ NS ns2.psi.net is the Secondary Can you have a @ NS
> ns3.domain.com?  How many can you have.  I am assuming that I
> could add a third one for a tertiary DNS server, which would be a
> slave form the master land-5.com???
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Kris McElroy
> kmcelroy at duracom.net
>
> Internet Systems Engineer
> Duracom, INC.

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
Manager Wolf.COM -- Programmer -- Network Administrator
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/

***** Please only send me emails which concern me *****