FW: Corrupt serial number

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Sep 20 15:13:08 UTC 2001

In article <9ocn8g$q1u at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Shaffer, Kurt <Kurt_Shaffer at steris.com> wrote:

>Maybe a simple question but I think I may have a corrupt serial number.
>
>How do I "reset" the serial number of a zone file?  The master accepts
>the zone but will not answer for it and the slave never accepts it.
>No error messages are seen in the message files.

If there are no error messages, what makes you think the problem is with
the serial number?

If the master server finds something wrong with the zone file serious
enough to prevent it from answering for it, it will always log a message.
Maybe there's a problem with your syslog.conf settings, so the messages
aren't being put in the log file.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA