Dynamic DNS updating for Windows NT

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Sep 21 23:38:18 UTC 2001

At 11:16 PM 9/20/01, Cricket Liu wrote:
> > How do I set up a Win NT workstation to update DNS after getting an
>address
> > from a DHCP server?
> >
> > I've got one particular zone on my local name server set up to allow
> > updates. My Win2K workstation is set up to get its IP address via a DHCP
> > server running on a Cisco router on my LAN, and to register a DNS entry
> > with my name server using the "Register this connection's addresses in
>DNS"
> > option. Now I want to get the same thing going with a Win NT workstation.

W2K should not be doing this in this first place.  Allowing any system to update
DNS is dangerous.  Dynamic update should be the responsibility of the server
issuing the IP addresses.  It's a fundamental flaw of Microsoft's implementation.
Having only one server updating DNS means that you can limit update access
to that server and other maintenance systems.

I took the time to turn off all attempts to send registration requests to my DNS.
It was not easy to do, since Microsoft seems to think that you shouldn't do that.

> > 1) Is there any third-party software I can install to do this? I've seen
> > some third-party clients, but they all seem to have a selection of dynamic
> > dns services hardcoded into them....nothing for a local name server.
> > 2) Do I need to move DHCP from the router to a Windows server?
>
>If you have a choice of DHCP server, you could always use the ISC's
>DHCP server, which supports sending dynamic updates on behalf of
>DHCP clients.  See http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.html.

That sounds like the right way to go.

         Danny