Win2k caches ip addr. after name resolution from dns?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Tue Sep 25 02:55:39 UTC 2001

At 09:23 PM 9/24/01, Sanjivendra Nath wrote:

>Is there anyway for us to force the MS clients (namely, IE 5.0) to go to the
>DNS for name resolution always, or at least limit the time during which it
>caches the ip address of a site?

No.  That's totally under the control of the designer of the client. Why would
you think otherwise?  Caching can be limited to the extent that the client
wants to by giving the address a TTL that you desire.

Did you try Netscape Communicator?

>I've tried 4 clients now against my DNS running Bind9 on linux with
>roundrobin setup to 2 webservers behind it.
>
>* linux client, win95, win98 - consecutive pings average out to 50% load on
>each webserver.
>
>* win2k - consecutive pings sticks to the first ip address of the webserver
>served by my DNS.

This seems like the right behavior to me.  You don't want to have the client
constantly requesting an IP Address every time it wants another page from
your web server. The 1.1 HTTP protocol has a Keep-Alive header option to
allow it to keep the connection open while it's retrieving multiple files from the
server.  It it didn't do that downloads would be much, much longer.

If you are worried about your Web Server going down and people being unable
to access it, you should be worrying about replacing your Web server with
something more reliable. Placing the burden on DNS to deal with a Web server
reliability problem is a way of avoiding solving the real problem.

         Danny