Moving DNS for reverse

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Sep 26 23:49:31 UTC 2001

In article <9oto1s$3f5 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Chris Parker  <chrisp2 at pacbus.com> wrote:

>We currently have 2 internet connections.
>Our DNS' are on connection "A"
>Our Web servers are on connection "B"
>The reverse for connection "B" is delegated to our DNS' on connection "A"
>We are moving the DNS' to connection "B"
>We have processed a host change that will go into effect with the 5am
>update.
>Will the reverse move with the host records or do we need to inform our
>connection "B" provider that we've update the IPs?

Delegation NS records point to names, not IPs.  If the names of your
nameservers are not changing, ISP B doesn't need to change the delegation
records of the reverse domain.

However, if ISP B's nameservers are also configured as slaves for your
reverse zones, then they will need to update their named.conf files, since
"masters" statements contain IPs, not names.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA