F5 3dns: 5 second digs

Marc.Thach at radianz.com Marc.Thach at radianz.com
Fri Sep 28 11:47:07 UTC 2001

If I were you, I'd dig @IpaddressOf LoadBalancer (which I presume is res3)
to see whether it's the LB delaying or the initial resolution of the LB
name.  I guess I'd be unhappy if it were the LB causing the delay.
rgds
Marc TXK

                    "Cricket Liu"
                    <cricket at nxdoma        To:     bind-users at isc.org
                    in.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:               Subject:     Re: F5 3dns: 5 second digs
                    bind-users-boun
                    ce at isc.org

                    28/09/2001
                    06:46

>   I have F5 3DNS machine running Version 3.0.  I have a test domain
> configured:  test.orb.net.
>   When I do a dig I see a 5 second delay on the first resolution.
>
> first time:
>   dig @res3 test.orb.net
>   ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>   test.orb.net.           30S IN A        206.132.8.162
>   ;; Total query time: 5243 msec
>
> second time
>   dig @res3 test.orb.net
>   ;; Total query time: 348 msec
>

>   Any ideas?  What does additional 5 second time imply?  A timeout?
> Where?

F5's 3DNS box detects dead servers and does some kind of load balancing,
doesn't it?  Seems natural that that sort of thing would take some time,
but
that the results might be cached for successive queries.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software & Services
www.menandmice.com