Round robin on CNAME

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Mon Apr 1 19:49:17 UTC 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 07:43:08PM +0000, Barry Margolin wrote:

> >>     Nate> It's a small difference, but we're dealing with really busy
> >>     Nate> domain names here, and small differences matter. When a
> >>     Nate> CNAME is encountered, the query has to be rewritten with the
> >>     Nate> new name. This costs in computing resources, adding
> >>     Nate> latency. Following NS records without rewriting the query
> >>     Nate> would be better.
> >>
> >> Frankly, this does not appear to be well thought out. Have you
> >> actually done an analysis to support or justify this argument? It
> >> would be interesting to see some numbers which compares both
> >> approaches.
> >
> >There's no measurement needed. If I hand out a name for a nameserver
> >inside the lycos.com zone, remote resolvers head right for those IPs.
>
> But since they're actually Akamai's nameservers, how are you planning on
> keeping the A records correct as Akamai adds and removes nameservers around
> the world?

That's what I need to talk to them about. This likely isn't an issue,
though, since they don't move IPs. They have a single IP that bounces
around to different hosts inside their network depending on conditions.
--
Nate

I wanted to read your article but it had a bunch of HTML code and
brackets and garbage, instead of content. Maybe you could try posting
it again?          - Al Iverson <news at radparker.com>