Having Trouble with Reverse Map in Child Zone.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Mon Apr 1 20:01:50 UTC 2002

	I recently asked about adding glue records to define a
child dns that is part of our domain and the forward lookups work
but the reverse lookups don't.

	I added the following records to the master zone:

child_domain   IN   NS   testdns1.child_domain.okstate.edu.
child_domain   IN   NS   testdns2.child_domain.okstate.edu.
X.78.139.IN-ADDR.ARPA    IN    ns  testdns1.child_domain.okstate.edu.
X.78.139.IN-ADDR.ARPA    IN    ns  testdns2.child_domain.okstate.edu.

	In other words, I didn't forget reverse mapping for the
subnets that the child_domain uses, but forward lookups are
perfect and reverse lookups for addresses in that range fail.

	I have even looked on a slave DNS and found the records
for the reverse DNS present.

	I can also verify by using dig that the child name server
has the proper records so that leaves only one conclusion.  I got
it wrong, somehow.

	The book DNS and Bind gives an example of a glue record
in a parent zone, but I am not sure what happens with the reverse
zone.

	The addresses in the reverse zone are a subset of our
entire Class B number space if that has anything to do with it.
So close and yet so far.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group