FW: "no data known" vrs "host not found"

admjcd admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV
Tue Apr 2 16:27:47 UTC 2002

One last Question then?

 Why would an "ANY" or "ALL" query fail until after you run a MX or A query then start working again?

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Margolin [mailto:barmar at genuity.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 9:59 AM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Re: FW: "no data known" vrs "host not found"

In article <a8cg5d$a9j at pub3.rc.vix.com>, admjcd  <admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:

>Well it looks like you may of nailed it?  Army.mil does not return
>"ANY" or "all"  Querys untill after I do an mx query. Why does this do
>an "any" query anyway? So if I turn that off ( I should be all set? Or
>do I have to upgrade sendmail to get that feature?  Does the ANY query
>not belong in the latest rfc's for SMTP and DNS?

Sendmail has traditionally done an ANY query so that it can get look up the MX and A records in one query, rather than first doing an MX query and then an A query if that fails.

I'm not sure if this is a configurable option or it has changed in recent versions.  I think it's time for you to check www.sendmail.org or post your questions in comp.mail.sendmail.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA
*** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups. Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.