problems since moving to SImple DNS plus

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 01:26:15 UTC 2002

Tom Sellers wrote:

> -Glue: it tells me that my root servers are not providing glue, so I added
> an A record for 127.0.0.1, this is akin to throwing myself the wall in a
> dark room trying to find the door.

Pass - are you sure you have root servers? You aren't reading
the instructions for testing private networks?

> -Lame nameserver: a secondary at 67.36.49.101 DNS2.noquestionhosting.net  is
> reported as lame or non-authorative although I have delegated him and the
> zone data is there. Same problem with ns3.dnsmadeeasy.com

No zone data as far as I can see, what makes you think it is
there?

$ dig +short @dns2.noquestionhosting.net mparam.com ns
$ dig +short @ns3.dnsmadeeasy.com mparam.com ns
$

> -It tells me I only have one MX record when in fact there are 3

Some have 3 some have 1.

$ dig @ns1.dnsmadeeasy.com  mparam.com mx +short
10 mail.mparam.com.

Your zones have different data.

> -it tells me I have a reverse DNS entry for my mailserver when I don't
> recall making one because my ISP does not have my server entered, I recall
> trying to experiment with this in MS DSN earlier but not sure how this would
> carry over to Simple DNS?

You do - at least on some servers.

dig -x 161.184.112.214 +short
mparam-116.mparam.com.

> -It tells me that one of the nameservers has a serial of 11. I've done an
> NSlookup of all the NS that are delegated and can't find that SN although I
> recall that SN did exist somewhere a long time ago.

At least this server does.

$ dig @NS1.DNSMADEEASY.com mparam.com soa +short
ns1.dnsmadeeasy.com. dns.dnsmadeeasy.com. 11 10800 3600 172800
60

> I just caught an error wherein I deleted ns1(and 2).dnsmadeeasy.com that
> were mistakenly delegated as primary and did hold zone data that I no longer
> wanted.

Ah ha - no you didn't - these are delegated from
a.gtld-servers.net and so the delegation must be fixed with your
registrar until this is done, and propagated you have to have
these servers with correct data, or at least have them answering
as lame servers so everyone knows to ignore them.

mail.mparam.com has two A records, 127.0.0.1 doesn't look
promising.