smtp/tcp (2): bind: Address already in use

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 3 01:53:14 UTC 2002

Barry Margolin wrote:

> In article <a8cn53$bed at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
> Manfred Kral <kral at webreflect.de> wrote:
> >when i get this message:
> >smtp/tcp (2): bind: Address already in use
> >

> >what is wron in my configuration???
>
> This has nothing to do with the BIND nameserver; the "bind" in that message
> refers to the bind(2) system call.

Sorry to nitpick, but on some Unices -- particularly older SysV-based Unices --
"bind" is actually a library call instead of a system call. I'm not sure whether
"(2)" in the error message above implies that "bind" is in "section 2" (i.e. a
system call) on *this* particular (unspecified) system or not, or whether it might
mean something else entirely...