Glue at root

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 08:40:55 UTC 2002

Tom Sellers wrote:

> When I run http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=mparam.comI
> get the warning: "WARNING. The root servers (f.gtld-servers.net) are not
> providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying
> the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records
> (127.0.0.1), which will cause slower connections, and may cause some
> incompatibilities with some programs. This behavior is allowed by the RFCs.
> You can speed up the connections by having NS records that are in the same
> TLD as your domain."

> When it checks our NS records, the record for my own server says:
> "MPP.MPARAM.CA. [24.244.15.158 (NO GLUE)]", but for the other NS it does not
> say that: "DNS2.NOQUESTIONHOSTING.NET. [67.36.49.101] [TTL=172800]"
>
> So I'm still a bit fuzzy as to how I get Glue for my own nameserver?

Ah ha - the full message is fairly clear. The gtld-servers.net
only supply glue for .com (and some other of these non
geographic TLD), so they wouldn't be expected to know the IP of
the ".ca" servers.

I think this is a best practice thing, if you want to use ".ca"
based nameservers it is up to you.

Although calling them "root servers" is a bit misleading, since
the DNS Expert owners have a few experts around here, perhaps
they'll take note, or explain why they called them "root
servers" in this instance.