Drifting OT (was Re: FW: "no data known" vrs "host not found" )

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Apr 3 15:58:05 UTC 2002

In article <a8f43j$olg at pub3.rc.vix.com>, admjcd  <admjcd at VOLPE.DOT.GOV> wrote:
>The ANY querys only fail from our local DNS servers not from any others
>on the internet including the ones at army.mil also there are several
>other domains that return this error intermittently. So is it more of an
>DNS error on which side? I found this about DNS from:

The failure I was referring to was the fact that some of the records that
are supposed to be in the Answer section are instead in the Authority
section of the reply.  I was able to reproduce this by querying the
army.mil servers directly.

>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bind/2001/0036.html
>
>818. [bug] Certain pathological responses to ANY queries could
>                        cause an assertion failure. [RT #1218]
>
>Does this fit my puzzle here?

Only if your named process crash with an "Assertion failed" log message.
It doesn't sound like this is so.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA