Who's my DNS?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Apr 3 18:25:20 UTC 2002

Max wrote:

> I have a static IP through DirecTV DSL.  They say they only allow one
> domain to be mapped to my IP.  So if I use them for my name server, I
> believe I'm limited to just one.  But I don't know why/how they can do
> this, and I want to get around that.
>
> I have 4 different domain names, which I'd like to serve through my
> home-based Linux/Apache/DSL setup.  My domain names were registered
> through companies like Catalog.com and Stargate.com.
>
> Questions:
> 1.  Do I have to use my DSL provider as my name server?

You mean, to *serve* your DNS domains? Nope, you don't. How does your
DSL provider even know what domains you own? They don't.

Or, did you mean, do you have to use your DSL provider's nameserver(s) to
resolve Internet names? Probably not, but they might possibly put
restrictions on your query traffic, depending on how fascist they are.

> 2.  Can I use my name registrars as DNS if they offer it?  If so, how
> do let them know what my static-IP is?

That would differ from registrar to registrar, but generally there's a
form (usually web-based) of some sort where you put your nameservers'
names and addresses. By the way, you need at least 2 nameservers for a
domain. So, in addition to your master server, you'd need, at a minimum,
somebody to be a slave for your domains. There are free slave services
out there. Check the list archives for recommendations.

> 3.  Is there another place I should look for DNS so I can have 4
> domain names all connect to my 1 static-IP?

Depends on how comfortable you are running your own nameserver versus how
comfortable you are putting that responsibility into someone else's
hands. Personally, I prefer to host our (i.e. DaimlerChrysler's) own
domains. But then, that's what I get paid to do, among other things :-)

I've had nothing but trouble with domain hosting that we've outsourced to
other outfits.

> 3.  Stargate offers domain name forwarding, which I've tried, and I
> setup a virtual host on my Apache.  However, while it does find the
> right root directory, the URL listed in the browser is still the IP
> address, not the ServerName (www.foo.com).  Should I bother with
> domain forwarding and if so, how do I get it to display the server
> name?

Sorry, I've never used "domain forwarding", and I'm not even sure what
that it is. Some sort of web redirect, perhaps?