Logging Question

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Apr 4 00:54:51 UTC 2002

At 12:51 PM 4/3/02, bert hubert wrote:
>In article <a8f8fb$pdp at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Kenneth Kalan wrote:
>
> > Apr  3 09:35:29 barney named[379]: [ID 866145 local3.error] client
> > {ip-address-of-client}
> > 1#1474: update '{domain-name}/IN' denied
> >
> > This seems to be from Win 2K machines trying to update the DNS, which they
> > are set to do by default (windows default, not mine), but are not allowed
> > to.  I've searched through the archives trying to find the solution.  No
> > one seemed to have an answer except to modify the source code and
> recompile.
>
>I know of no way other then the dirty trick :-) below to make W2K stop
>sending these updates. We've tried sending RCODE 'not implemented' back but
>w2k persists.

That's not surprising.  Even if the W2K Client succeeds in registering it's
addresses in the DNS, it will reregister them every 24 hours, according to one
MS document I read.  You're better off making them think that they succeeded
except that legitimate applications like nsupdate need the correct response.
If it fails the update it will retry after 5 minutes, then 10 minutes and
retries
the sequence after anothe 50 minutes.

         Danny