Changing the name of a nameserver without breaking DNS

Tom Sellers tsellers at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 5 17:43:26 UTC 2002

Following the advice I received earlier in this group, I need to take a
nameserver that I currently run and is based upon a '.ca' domain and
base it on our '.com' domain to achieve glue. Accordingly I went to the
registrar and created a new nameserver called 'ns2.mparam.com'.

The server that gets this name change is currently delegated as primary,
is called 'mpp.mparam.ca', and I'm looking for advice on any pitfalls I
may encounter, I guess timing is the main concern. Given that the IP
address of the server that gets renamed remains the same, would this
procedure make sense?

1: In the zone data for mparam.com create an NS record for
ns2.mparam.com, and create an A record for ns2.mparam.com
2: Go to the registrar and change the nameservers by removing
mpp.mparam.ca as the primary and adding ns2.mparam.com in its place.
3: Wait 48 hours for propagation
4: Physically give the server which is now called mpp.mparam.ca its new
name, and then reboot it so that it now identifies itself as
ns2.mparam.com to all queries it receives.
5: In the zone data for mparam.com now remove the NS record for
mpp.mparam.ca

If I've overlooked anything I'd certainly appreciate your comments.
Thanks.

Regards, Tom