Problems with Bind 9.2 on solaris 8

Will Yardley william-nospam-newdream-net at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Fri Apr 5 18:10:45 UTC 2002

In article <a8kfvm$b6p at pub3.rc.vix.com>, vishal wrote:

> I dont have a copy of DNS BIND from O'Reilly but could you please tell
> me what the configure options in bind are. would be great help. And
> also the default location of the named.conf, named.hosts and other
> files.

i recommend
../configure --help

i don't see how we can possibly guess how *YOU* want to configure your
software.

in most situations, ./configure on its own will choose good defaults,
but it's possible you want to put things in different places.

your subject line refers to solaris 8, so do you want to install into
/opt or into /usr/local (which i believe configure will default to).  if
you're using solaris, i'd recommend setting sysconfdir to /usr/local/etc
so that the inetsvc init script doesn't automatically start the (old)
version of bind that's in the core solaris install.

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.