Server wil not return data for secondaries

Tom Sellers tsellers at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 5 18:41:56 UTC 2002

Michael, thanks.

That's interesting, here's what happened. The slave machine is running
SimpleDNS and it has three settings under 'Offer recursion to:' 1: all
clients, 2: no clients, 3: Only the following. It was set to #2. When it
was changed to #1 then the lookup would work. When #2 was selected only
the machines on the same subnet that it was acting as a slave for would
return any data on a lookup. The other zones from the primary not in the
same subnet were there, and there was data in all of them, but it would
not give up their data.

Regards, Tom

On Apr 5 2002 10:23 -0700, Tom Sellers wrote:

> Thanks for the help. It turned out to be a problem in the recursion
> settings. Changing it to allow all clients allowed it to work. So it
> points out I need to go study recursion more so I have a fuller
> understanding.

If the server is configured as a slave for a zone, recursion is not
required to retrieve data from that zone from that server.

Michael Kj=F6rling

- --=20
Michael Kj=F6rling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

``And indeed people sometimes speak of man's "bestial" cruelty, but
this is very unfair and insulting to the beasts: a beast can never be
so cruel as a man, so ingeniously, so artistically cruel.''
(Ivan Karamazov, in Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov')