multiple MX records on same IP

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 5 23:41:24 UTC 2002

In article <a8lbdg$c1i at pub3.rc.vix.com>, GV <atomo77 at libero.it> wrote:

>Maybe it is a very stupid question (I'm not a bind/DNS expert).
>
>Is it possible to set 2 A records and 2 MX records on the same IP?

Yes.

>like this
>
>foo    A   1.2.3.4
>foo    MX  1.2.3.4
>
>foo2   A   1.2.3.4
>foo2   MX  1.2.3.4

MX records point to hostnames, not addresses.  It should be:

foo     A   1.2.3.4
foo     MX  10 foo

foo2    A   1.2.3.4
foo2    MX  10 foo (or foo2, since they're the same)

>The administrator of our DNS server tells that it is not possible (he
>told me he tried but a nslookup returns a "non-authoritative" answer)
>but I think he was wrong.

You're missing the preference values on the MX records (the 10's in my
examples).  This syntax error will cause the server to return a
non-authoritative answer.

>Note: the DNS server is the master for domain foo_domain.it, and the A
>records are under this domain
>
>foo.foo_domain.it
>foo2.foo_domain.it

What's the point of telling us this if you're not going to tell us the
*real* domain?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA