using bind on a dialup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Apr 6 02:18:59 UTC 2002

Christian Wittmer wrote:

> Kevin Darcy wrote:
>

> > Christian Wittmer wrote:
> >
> >> Hi NG,
> >>
> >> I want to modify my zonefiles automatically when I dialup to the internet
> >> so that the IP-Adress of my Nameserver is automatically changed from
> >> privat IP ( e.g. 19.168.0.2 ) to the IP-Adress I have when I'm connected
> >> to the Internet.
> >>
> >> Is that possible ?
> >
> > I'm not sure why you want to do this. Presumably your external (dialup) IP
> > is static, since otherwise you're going to have big problems anyway trying
> > to be a DNS master. And presumably your internal IP is static, and only
> > used by other clients on your intranet. So why not just run "split DNS",
> > where the internal clients see the internal address and the external
> > clients see the external address? This should eliminate the need to go
> > mucking around in zonefiles. What am I missing?
> >

> > - Kevin
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> thanks for your interesting opinion.
>
> Do you know where I can material on how to setup such stuff, any links, man
> pages or something like that.

No man pages, _per_se_. The "view" feature of BIND 9 is often useful for
setting up split DNS, but the man page information on "view" pretty much
already assumes you're familiar with split-DNS concepts. Of course there is the
_DNS_and_BIND_ O'Reilly book, which discusses split DNS. The search "split
DNS" also yields many hits in the archives of this mailing list.

The basic idea of split DNS is that you run either a) multiple instances of
"named", either on different machines, or on the same machine, listening on
different interfaces, or b) (in BIND 9 only), a single instance with multiple
"view"s. Each instance or "view" has a different version of the relevant
zone(s): one version which is hosted to the outside world, and one version
which is hosted only to your internal clients. So you can have the same name
resolve differently depending on whether an internal or external client is
doing the querying.