Weird bind thing - works locally, but not from anywhere else.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 8 22:07:20 UTC 2002

In article <a8t3tc$pnv at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Steven Webb  <steve at badcheese.com> wrote:
>I'm running debian linux (potato) with bind 8.2.3 and I'm having some
>weird issues with my named.  I'm serving multiple domains and some of them
>work and some of them don't.  I tried re-creating the new domain zone
>files from one of the working zone files and it doesn't change the
>behoviour at all.
>
>What I'm seeing is that I can do a "host -a blah.com" on the dns server
>and it resolves fine.  The zones are getting transferred fine and I can do
>a "host -a blah.com" fine on the secondary machine as well, but asside
>from those two machines, I can't get blah.com (not the actual name) to
>resolve from anywhere else.  When I try it from an outside machine, I get:
>
>blah.com does not exist, try again
>
>Is there something wrong with sending the stuff to the root nameservers?
>I tried getting a fresh copy of named.root, but that didn't change
>anything either.

You don't "send stuff to the root nameservers".  The GTLD servers are
configured by the registrars.

My guess is that your domains are no longer being delegated from the GTLD
servers, perhaps because you didn't pay the registrar renewal bills.

Try: host -t ns blah.com a.gtld-servers.net

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA