Two RFC2317 Questions

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 9 21:27:00 UTC 2002

In article <a8vkt3$2bn at pub3.rc.vix.com>,  <phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote:

>Barry Finkel <b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
>> 2) swbell has included in their zone my four nameservers as well as
>>    their two nameservers.   I have only my four nameservers in my zone.
>>    As swbell has not assigned me the whole Class-C subnet of their
>>    Class-B, they have the other half of that Class-B on their servers;
>>    that is why they include their nameservers as well as mine.
>>    My reading of the RFC leads me to believe that the zone should
>>    not reference the
>
>>         ns[12].swbell.net
>
>>    servers because they have delegated the 127 addresses to my servers.
>>    What should be in the NS records?
>
>All 6, otherwize you wall have a couple of Lame delegations.

No you won't.  A delegation is lame if the server isn't authoritative for
the domain.  Leaving out NS records doesn't affect whether a server is
authoritative.  As long as they've configured their servers as slaves for
the subdomain, and Barry allows them to perform zone transfers, they'll be
authoritative.

Leaving out the NS records makes them "stealth secondaries".

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA