Basic DNS setup for MacOS X

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Wed Apr 10 19:12:54 UTC 2002

"George" <george.e.sullivan at saic.com> wrote in message
news:a920ur$9mq at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I am a Unix System Admin and know very little about a Mac.
> My boss just got a Apple laptop with MacOS X on it.  What are
> the basic things to do to setup DNS on it so that the Apple
> will resolve hostnames from our DNS server.  We currently are
> running an Irix DNS server.  Our resolv.conf on the Irix
> and Sun clients is very simple:
>
> search twill.see.com
> nameserver zippy.twill.see.com
>
> And the PC clients work find just by pointing them to 129.1.3.43.
>
> For example, at the Apple Terminal command line I can type
> "telnet zippy" and I get "unknown host", but of course I can
> type telnet 129.1.3.43 and I can telnet in.
>
> Thanks to all

With very little searching at http://www.apple.com/support I found

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
2. Choose Network from the View menu.
3. From the Show menu, choose the interface you use to physically connect to
the Internet.
4. Click the TCP/IP tab.
5. Type your DNS address in the Domain Name Servers field. If you have more
than one, press Return at the end of each to put the next address on a new
line.
6. Click Apply Now.

Most recent Mac I've used is 8.6, so I haven't tried it myself.