Newbie DNS question

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Apr 10 22:53:34 UTC 2002

> Hi,
>
> I am reposting this after I amended some config files following
> some advice from Linux newsgroups. Still I am facing problems.
> I have added my reverse zone file setup in the hope that it
> can make matters clearer.
>
> As mentioned, my setup is extremely simple, I just want to
> set my worksttation to be a master server.
>
> i) When I issue a dig command: I get this error message
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.1.0 <<>> birds.com.sg

	Upgrade 9.1.0 is seriously past its use by date.  I'd recommend
	9.2.1rc1 with a upgrade to 9.2.1 when it is released.

> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 9309
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;birds.com.sg.                  IN      A
>
> ;; Query time: 13 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(0.0.0.0)
> ;; WHEN: Tue Apr  9 14:32:40 2002
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 30
>

> ii) When I issue a nslookup command: nslookup 16.153.64.118, I get:
> Server:         0.0.0.0
> Address:        0.0.0.0#53
>
> ** server can't find 118.64.153.16.in-addr.arpa.: SERVFAIL

	Before attempting to test a nameserver it pays to check the
	logs.

> The files I set are:
>
> 1) My named.conf file
> options {
>         directory "/var/named";
>         };
>
> zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "named.local";
> };
>
> zone "birds.com.sg" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "birds.com.sg.zone";
> };
>
> zone "64.153.16.in-addr.arpa" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "16.153.64.reverse";
> };
>

> 2) My zone file, birds.com.sg
> $TTL 604800
> @                IN SOA gandalf.birds.com.sg. tankc.gandalf.birds.com.sg. (
>                                         42              ; serial (d. adams)
>                                         3H              ; refresh
>                                         15M             ; retry
>                                         1W              ; expiry
>                                         1D )            ; minimum
>                                         NS     gandalf.birds.com.sg.
>             gandalf      IN             A      16.153.64.118
>             egret        IN             A      16.153.64.111
>             falcon       IN             A      16.153.64.100
>             swan         IN             A      16.153.64.203

	Leading space is significant.  This would have been logged.
	named-checkzone would have also complained.

	e.g.
		named-checkzone birds.com.sg birds.com.sg.zone

> These IP address are NOT connected to Internet. (Yes, I know
> these set of IP addresses are strange, but it is a
> long story)
>
> 3) My reverse zone file, 16.153.64.reverse
> @                        IN SOA gandalf.birds.com.sg. (
>                                         42              ; serial (d. adams)
>                                         3H              ; refresh
>                                         15M             ; retry
>                                         1W              ; expiry
>                                         1D )            ; minimum
>                         IN            NS       gandalf.birds.com.sg.
>             118         IN            PTR      gandalf.birds.com.sg.
>             111         IN            PTR      egret.birds.com.sg.
>             100         IN            PTR      falcon.birds.com.sg.
>             203         IN            PTR      swan.birds.com.sg.

	This zone also does not have a TTL set. BIND 9.1.x requires
	a $TTL or a explicit TTL on the first record.  BIND 9.2.x
	will use the minimum field iff the first record is the SOA
	and it has not otherwise been set.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org