Renewing leases during failover?

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Apr 11 14:13:15 UTC 2002

"Steve Rooke" <steve.rooke at cdhb.govt.nz> wrote in message
news:a93dc2$arb at pub3.rc.vix.com...

This has nothing to do with the BIND DNS server.  If you want help setting
up an ISC DHCP server, check the ISC DHCP server mailing list.

> I have the need to maintain allocated IP address assignments to WS but
> I'm suffering from address depletion due to NIC and WS replacement using
> static BOOTP. I wish to use DHCP with 3 month leases so that things
> should remain static but at the same time I get the stale IPs back for
> allocation.

If your clients need static IP, assign them with a host statement.  Even if
you don't your clients will nearly always get the same IP even with short
leases - unless you have more clients than IP.

> On a standalone ISC DHCP server, I can renew and release/renew and get
> the same IP which was allocated via BOOTP. When I go into failover mode,
> the secondary will renew the existing lease quite happily but each time
> I release that lease, I get new IP address' in a sequence (this is in a
> lab test environment).
>
> I guess it is not broken as the WS gets an IP address. I wonder in what
> circumstances does a WC release a lease? Providing the WS does not
> release the lease it had (or if DHCP in failover worked like the
> primary), life would be perfect for me.

The short answer is probably not unless you do it manually.  If the client
were powered off for longer than the lease lenght, it might expire the
lease.  Some clients release their lease on shutdown, others do not.  For
more specific help ask in a group or list for your particular client OS.