Subdoamins W2k

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 12 14:14:35 UTC 2002

In article <a965dj$g30 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Holger Honert  <holger.honert at signal.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a strange behaviour concerning subdomain delegation in a mixed
>environment AIX
>and W2k in my intranet.
>
>My AIX Server runs BIDN v 8.3.1 (compiled sources from isc.org) and
>hosts the top zone
>'a-ts.de'. In this zone is a delegation for the subdomain (xpu.a-ts.de)
>to a W2k server
>running MS-BIND.
>
>If I try to lookup the contents of the subdomain 'xpu.a-ts.de' with 'ls
>-d xpu.a-ts.de.'
>the error message is as follows:
>
> > ls -d xpu.a-ts.de.
>[localhost]
>*** Domõne xpu.a-ts.de. kann nicht aufgelistet werden:Unspecified error
> > set d2
> > ls -d xpu.a-ts.de.
>;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, xpu.a-ts.de., IN, AXFR)
>[localhost]
>*** Domõne xpu.a-ts.de. kann nicht aufgelistet werden:Unspecified error

That shouldn't work, since your AIX server isn't authoritative for the
subdomain.  You can only perform a zone transfer from an authoritative
server.

>Vice versa if I make the server of the subdomain as my prim. NS and I
>want to
>list the contents of the upper domain 'a-ts.de' it does not work either.
>Network connections do work properly and on both servers is recursion on.

Recursion is never used for zone transfers.

What do you have in the "Zone Transfer" tab of the zone's properties on the
W2K server?  And why are you asking for help with a non-BIND server in the
BIND newsgroup?

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA