Subdoamins W2k

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 15 15:09:43 UTC 2002

In article <a9dqse$1rd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Holger Honert  <holger.honert at signal.de> wrote:
>as you can see at the bottom in my original query this behaviour appears
>not only in w2k environment.

The bottom of your original query showed the parent domain on the BIND
server, not the subdomain on the w2k server.  The behavior only appears
with the subdomain.

>So the question is still why I could not resolve only names in the
>delegated subdomain?

Your examples didn't show you trying to resolve names, they showed you
trying to do zone transfers (that's what the "ls" command does in
nslookup).  So did you check the "Zone transfer" tab of the zone
properties, like I suggested?

>According to MS the w2k DNS servers are somehow BIND copmpatible (sure,
>with
>some features from MS like gss-tsig) so thats why I asked this in this
>mailing-list.

It's "bind-compatible" because they both implement the standard DNS
protocol.  It's nothing specific to BIND.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA