NS record points to CNAME record

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 15 15:31:54 UTC 2002

In article <a9c98l$ge at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Petr Koval <peter.koval at chello.at> wrote:
>why points on iana stuff at any tlds
>an ns record to more then one ip
>
>example:
>
>XY.                             IN NS  TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY
>XY.                             IN NS  TLD2.DOMAIN2.YZ.
>
>TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY. IN A    IP1 ; first ns pointer
>TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY. IN A    IP2 ; first ns poiter
>TLD2.DOMAIN2.YZ  IN A    IP3 ; second ns pointer

Probably because the machine named TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY has two NICs, and those
are the two addresses on the NICs.

>so has the first pointer 2 IP adresses
>why not a strict rules?
>with the diferent pointers like
>
>XY.                              IN NS TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY.
>XY.                              IN NS TLD3.DOMAIN3.XZ.
>XY.                              IN NS TLD2.DOMAIN2.YZ.
>
>TLD1.DOMAIN1.XY.  IN A   IP1  ; first ns pointer
>TLD3.DOMAIN3.XZ.  IN A   IP2  , third ns pointer
>TLD2.DOMAIN2.YZ.  IN A   IP3  ; second ns pointer
>
>but so is realy true with 3 diferent ns pointers
>and each to one diferent IP only!

It shouldn't make any difference which way you do it.  Since a name
usually identifies a system, not a NIC, it usually makes more sense to have
one name with two addresses if a single machine has two addresses.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA