DNS errors after system reboot

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Apr 15 19:08:40 UTC 2002

DAN <daniel.sheridan at cgey.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> I have no real experience with DNS but have read the similar threads
> to this but cannot find the answer.

> I have rebooted a Solaris 7 server which is my master DNS server but
> now whenever I try to use and ndc command I get the following error -

> ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): Socket operation on
> non-socket
> ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/var/log/ndc)

Seems like named did not start by some reason.

> the /var directory is remotely mounted if this has an affect.

That's not a good idea. Failiure of other systems would affect
your nameservers ability to do it's duty. Often quite small
storage requrements are needed for bind, so there is noreason
to use centralstorage. And backup of zonefiles is dorn much better
other ways.

> We are running Bind 8.2  I believe

Most likley time to upgrade.

> and below is a copy of the named.conf,

Named.conf seems ok.

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)