newbie: redirect 1st url --> 2nd url

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 15 21:54:05 UTC 2002

In article <a9fhb2$6r3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>, Cate <orson14850 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Greetings and please try to forgive me my trespass. I'm in a situation where
>I need to very quickly (info erroneously published that says this is so)
>forward one url, scrlc.org, to another, lakenet.org. (ie., I want to http to
>scrlc.org but get pointed immediately to lakenet.org) We own both but only
>use the latter. I only understand enough about this to know to check
>/var/named for a file called db.scrlc (it's there). I actually have the DNS
>& Bind book (2nd ed.), but I don't even know the name of what I'm trying to
>do. I think, in vaguest terms, that I need to 1) set up the db.scrlc file so
>that it resolves to something 2) set up either the db.scrlc file or the
>db.lakenet file to accept (?) the redirect from scrlc.org and 3) set up
>[something] to redirect scrlc.org to lakenet.org

Set up the db.scrlc file just like the db.lakenet file:

scrlc.org.     IN A 204.253.93.2
www.scrlc.org. IN CNAME ns1.lakenet.org.

If your web server is a virtual host, you'll also need to update its
configuration to recognize scrlc.org and www.scrlc.org as referring to the
same same document directory.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA